04 March, 2012

WIRS, Among Other Things

When I have the time, I like to creep look around the blogosphere and see what other people are doing that make their blogs so popular. Mine has 25 whole page views at this point, and all of them are me. Anyways, one of the things that I noticed, is that there are a lot of people out there doing this WIAW, or What I Ate Wednesday. They post pictures and recipes of the healthy things that they have eaten, and other people can try them out too in their quests to be healthy.

I am a culinary failure in every single sense of the word. Even boiling water stresses me out.

Also. I am not healthy. The words kale chips make me want to just start knawing on my own arm.

I decided that I wanted to do my own spin off of this whole thing, and do a WIRS, or What I Read Sunday. I am a self proclaimed bookworm, and I'm not ashamed to admit it either. Its the only intellectual thing that I do (I was a very good 'C' student in High School, I preferred common sense to Algebra 2 and Biology, and after all, a 'C' is average right?), so I figure I ought to do it well. My goal is to read a book a week, and write what I thought about it. 

Simple enough.  

I can't promise that I'll be able to read a book a week, with a new baby and everything, but I'll do my best, promises and stuff.

So without further ado;

W.I.R.S #1

Graceling by Kristin Cashore


Graceling is the first of a series, and I got sucked in within the first few pages. Unlike a lot of fantasy novels Cashore doesn't weave a hugely extravagent web of characters and places making the book fairly easy to follow. She also doesn't give her characters those absurd 25 letter names that I can't even pronounce in my head. I finished it in a pretty short amount of time, and it never got old. I almost wish that it was a bit more challanging of a read so that it lasted longer, but sometimes you have to enjoy simplicity. It left me wanting more, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next in the series, and actually bought a copy with plans to re-read it. All in all it was a pretty good book, and I'd recommend it to anybody who likes the Tamora Pierce-type novels.

Ta-da!

It's like book club with myself!

In other, less pathetic news, my Mom came up and spent the better part of yesterday hanging out at the house, soakin' up the Nana time. It was nice, since M went back to work, and we had a bit of a rough night with Shannon. We're still getting used to this whole, up in the middle of the night stuff. We hung out, talked, got sucked into the PBS series Downton Abbey on Netflix, and ate our body weight in air popped popcorn (my favorite food in the world). It was nice to spend grown-up time with her, and she was able to hold the munchkin while I got the house picked up a bit.

M got home a little bit early, and his sister came up for the night. It's always nice to see her, we get along really well.

Today was M's second day working at the Gun Show (I don't know if it had a formal name or not). The Army had a recruiting table set up, so M and another recruiter from the station got to work it all weekend. Shannon and I went down to see him today after some quality morning snuggles, and meet up with his parents, so they could see her as well.

She even got to wear one of her new outfits that her Nana got her! She was stylin'!

Oh my the people at that thing.

There was a man who was walking around with a piece of paper stapled to a laynard around his neck. Written on the paper was an ad for a gun that he was selling. That's my best guess anyways. I didn't get to close. I was probably the only female there (with the exclusion of Shannon, as she wasn't there under her own power) under the age of 30, who still had all her teeth and whose legs were the same length. It was prime people watching. Better than the airport, but not quite as good as the county fair. I only say that because you can't openly stare at people, we were surrounded by large amounts of firearms.

M was able to sneak out for lunch, so that was nice, and when we got back, everybody was packing up, so he even got to ride home with us!

His parents came back here, to soak up some baby time, and I got to take my time in the shower. M tried to freeze me out a few times by doing the dishes, but I quickly set him straight.

I'm off to go eat some leftovers for dinner, and snuggle with my girl, while I continue to rot my brain (and annoy my husband) with more episodes of Dog the Bounty Hunter.

And remember,

Never lock your knees while standing at attention.

You'll eventually fall down and nobody wants to be 'that guy'.

No comments:

Post a Comment